Healthwatch Norfolk cannot deal with formal complaints about health or social care services but we are here to point you in the right direction.

If you are unhappy about any aspect of your care, or the service you received, it is best to speak with a member of staff involved with your care first. If staff are unable to help you, or you are not comfortable speaking with them, you may want to make a formal complaint. This is when you need to follow the correct complaints procedure.

There are so many organisations who provide health and social care services in Norfolk, so we have put together some guidance below to help.